Save questions about the Tooth Fairy, Easter Bunny, Santa and our Elf on the Shelf, I have always tried to tell my children the truth. They know where babies come from (thank you, National Geographic), where hamburgers come from and the sad fact that nobody lives forever. For awhile, I was pleased with my brand of frank, authentic parenting, but I recently started rethinking my “honesty is the best policy” policy. Despite an occasional maturity that belies their real age, there are some things they just don’t need to know about as yet.
Which brings me to my story,
which started innocently enough as I read them Ludwig Bemelmans’ Madeline and
the Bad Hat. Madeline, who is
seven years old, is a wonderful character who is clever, brave and loyal – my
kids adore her. In the story, Madeline’s
neighbor, a naughty young boy named Pepito, had fashioned a miniature guillotine
with a tool set he got as a gift. Before
I could turn the page and gloss over the inevitable question, my daughters sweetly
asked, “What’s a guillotine, Mommy?”
After a quick historical
introduction that would have been more suitable for a teenager, “During the
French Revolution, at the end of the eighteenth century…” I proceeded to explain
how the device worked. Halfway
through my explanation, I noticed that my kids were looking at me with
horrified expressions. I stopped myself: What was I doing? What had I done to
these innocents? Quickly, I crafted the little white lie: “I’m totally kidding,
girls! It’s a device for cutting meat…. and bread…. and cheese.” They bought it.
I learned several things from
this experience. First, that it’s okay to fib once in awhile to protect your
children. Second, that it’s not a bad idea to skim books before you read them
to your children to make sure the content is appropriate. And finally, that
it’s never a bad thing to at least try to tell the truth to your kids. I would rather they hear it from me
than from the older sibling of a classmate with zero censorship ability.

No comments:
Post a Comment