Confession: It takes a long time to get my kids to sleep, but I don't mind, especially during these lazy days of summer. At the end of the day, my daughters put on their pajamas, brush their teeth, say their prayers and choose a few books for me to read – usually ones we have already read, like, a thousand times. Olivia, Madeline and Pinkalicious are the frontrunners, though anything with the “3 Ps” (princesses, puppies or ponies) will do. But unlike most parents, I stay with my kids in their room, usually in one of their beds, until they fall asleep. I have trained them, right or wrong, to become accustomed to this routine – they can’t fall asleep otherwise. Even the most expert babysitter will find herself with the same duty in my absence.
Very occasionally, I will berate myself for not following the rules of Healthy Sleep Habits, Happy Child, or The No-Cry Sleep Solution. Did I think I knew better than the experts? But in truth, it is my favorite part of the day – even if it does sometimes seem to take forever. I can’t explain it, but the sweetest, purest talk of all usually happens at the end of the day when the lights are low and their eyes are heavy. It’s amazing the things that cascade through their tired little brains and out their mouths – from the simple, “Why does daddy stand when he pees?” to the esoteric, “Why can’t I see God?” They will even blow me away with questions about my own day. It disproves any notion that kids this age are still completely self-interested. I get a lot of grief about all of this from people in my life, but soon enough my kids may not want to snuggle – and sooner still, they may not come to me with all of their questions. So I am taking advantage of it while it lasts. I’m sure they’ll go to sleep by themselves eventually.

"And this above all, to thine own self be true, and thus it shall follow as the night the day, that thou canst not be false to any man." Or something like that.
ReplyDeletea mother knows best~
ReplyDelete