Sunday, June 16, 2013

Restaurant Confidential: The Cost of Good Health

Last night, I had a disappointing experience at one of my favorite restaurants on Nantucket.  Despite my delicious meal, I left with a very bad taste in my mouth.  Here's what happened: My girls ordered fish and chips from the children's menu, which included the usual fried items that come with, for good measure, a side of french fries or onion rings. I asked the waiter (whispered to him, actually) to substitute something nutritious for the fries - vegetables, salad or fruit.  No problem, was his quick response.  When I got the bill, $3 had been added to the price of each child's $10 entree for the substitution of veggies.  What the heck?  

I am not one to complain, but doesn't this seem like a penalty for making a good, healthy choice?  After all, childhood obesity has tripled in the last thirty years, and overweight children are subject to a host of serious medical problems later in life including diabetes, high cholesterol, high blood pressure and even depression.  Dr. Mark Hyman, a family physician and one of my favorite authors on the subject of achieving "vibrant health," has cautioned that children as young as two or three are being diagnosed with high cholesterol.  It's scary, but avoidable in most cases.

Now, I am not blaming restaurants for the obesity epidemic.  On the contrary, I am a strong believer in personal responsibility (and, in this case, the responsibility of parents for their young children).  At home, in schools, and the like.  But, I do believe that restaurants, including fast food chains, contribute to obesity by not providing healthful options for children.  Fried chicken nuggets, pepperoni pizza, french fries and soda are fine once in awhile (those who completely abstain conjure up for me the old adage, "water that is too pure has no fish"), but can we mix it up a bit with some balanced alternatives?          

I have gone out to eat with my kids since they were babies.  There were good times, bad times and times I swore I would never again cross the threshold of a restaurant with my children (seriously), but now, at five years old, they are real pros.  My persistence paid off.  But, as they have gotten older, eating out has become challenging again for a different reason; namely, finding a reasonably healthful meal for them on a children's menu.  Sure, there are those desperate times when I let them eat the entire basket of bread dredged in butter followed by a few mealy french fries and an ice cream sundae, but those times are few and far between.  I want the best for them in every respect - and that includes what goes into their bodies.

In my experience, kids and adults get used to the status quo, whatever that may be.  So let's start demanding a better state of affairs - and a better state of health - for our children.    

  

2 comments:

  1. I have disappointing experiences at more than one Nantucket Restaurant, often when the bill comes. The up-charges will eat you up. No free refills on diet sodas, charges for the bread basket of ordinary sliced bread, You get no credit back for not getting the fries when you substitute veggies, and no credit when you substitute fries FOR veggies. A $12 burger at Brotherhood, once you add options and substitutions is like paying for a change order when building a house. And as for the healthy choices, in Nantucket if you order fries as an entre' it comes with a side order of fries. So I wouldn't hold my breath for tofu and sprouts.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It would be fun to start a restaurant for children with a special little adult menu, or in my case, a restaurant for dogs with a dog masters little menu:)

    ReplyDelete